Waterfall hikes get you out and active to see the picturesque Moosehead Lake area landscape, streams, lakes and tumbling cascades. The Maine Woods consist of rugged terrain, vast lakes and rolling rivers, which make the area a likely place for amazing waterfalls! Depending on the time of year, the tumbling cascades can be extremely dramatic or a milder stream of whitewater falls. Our guides provide the best suggestions regarding which waterfall tour is best based on your visit. Let Northeast Whitewater be your guide to areas that you wouldn’t typically drive your own vehicle and see remote Maine waterfalls on our full or half day waterfall hikes and tours.
Choose from two different half day waterfall tours that are 3.5-4 hours.
Our scenery and waterfall tour is an easy adventure offering a 1.5 mile round trip walk in the woods to the largest waterfall in Maine. The walking path is flat and easily maneuvered for all ages. Enjoy the walk to the falls and multiple scenic overlooks at your leisure. This activity is perfect for anyone that is limited on time, and wants an easy trail walk. The scenic drive to and from the falls passes through a spectacular overlook with views of the surrounding mountains and a nature stop at a scenic bog home to native birds – you may even see a moose! Snacks are provided.
Our full day waterfall hikes are ideal for the moderate hiker, looking to explore the Maine woods a little further. The round trip hike is 5-8 miles, depending on the loop the guide opts to take. Guests will enjoy hiking into 5 different waterfalls, through the boreal forest, and the spectacular photo opportunities offered from the trail-head. Enjoy a full day waterfall hike and the fun of meeting other hiking friends along the way. Our full day waterfall hike meets at 9 AM. Lunch and snacks are included on the full day tour.
- Half Day Waterfall Hikes, Waterfall Tours and Full Day Waterfall Hikes are offered weekly throughout the summer or book a private hike at your convenience!
- All safety equipment, transportation, and Registered Maine Guide on every Waterfall Hike. Dress for the weather and warm comfortable walking shoes or boots.
- No experience necessary.
- Children under 10 years of age are only $29 (must be accompanied by an adult, maximum number of 2 children at the $29 discount rate on half day trips only.)
- Minimum 5 participants on guided trips or join an existing trip. Private hikes are available upon request and first come, first served.
- We pride ourselves on small, personalized trips.
- North Maine Woods head fee of $16 is additional on all full-day waterfall hikes.