Ice Caves Excursions
Ice cave excursions, yes even in the summer! Intrigued? Heavy boulders that were plowed together by glaciers during the last ice age created the ice caves in Maine’s north woods. There are metal rungs, courtesy of the Nature Conservancy, to climb down into the cave. As you descend into the ice cave, the temperature drops – much like walking into an air-conditioned room or freezer, so bring an extra layer with you on this trek! Tall pines and moss-coated boulders greet you on your hike to and from the cave. This full-day activity allows you to see the magnificent and meandering Penobscot River, Maine’s largest mountain, Katahdin, bald eagles and maybe even a moose! Join Northeast Whitewater guided ice cave excursion and hike to see the Maine ice caves with us.
This 6-7 hour ice cave excursion is offered weekly or based on minimum group size; so please call Northeast Whitewater to inquire for your group of 5 or more. Round-trip our ice cave excursion hike is 4 miles; and the scenic ride to and from the caves is enjoyed by guests listening to interpretive guiding and enjoying a scenic ride on Maine woods roads. Our full day ice cave excursion meets at 9 AM. Lunch and snacks are included on the full day tour.
|Ice Cave Excursions||$ 84|
- Ice Cave Excursions are offered weekly throughout the season or call to inquire about a private ice cave tour for additional availability!
- Specialized wildlife, birding and ice caves offered when requested interest with experienced wildlife and birding guide. Additional fees may apply.
- All safety equipment, transportation, and Registered Maine Guide on every Ice Cave Excursion. Dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes or boots. Plan to bring a long sleeve article of clothing for time spent in the ice cave!
- Must have moderate hiking experience.
- Minimum age is 10 years old.
- Minimum 5 participants on guided trips or join an existing trip.
- Lunch / snacks provided.
- We pride ourselves on small, personalized trips.